The following report was issued by the Patriotic Union of Cuba (UNPACU), a Santiago de Cuba based pro-democracy organization that has activists throughout the island:
List of the human rights defenders that the Pope “did not know were repressed” during his visit to Cuba.
Following are the names and some other information on members of the Patriotic Union of Cuba, UNPACU, detained during the visit of Pope’s Francis to Cuba. The largest number of those detained from our pro-democracy organization occurred in Santiago de Cuba on the last day of the Pope’s visit: 105 arbitrarily arrested, many beaten. Five in Pinar del Rio, thirteen in the Capital, fourteen in Holguin and one in Guantanamo. More than two hundred activists in the East and another twenty in the West, were prevented from leaving their homes under the threat that if they left they would be arrested.
During the presence of the Bishop of Rome in our country, in a clear demonstration of disrespect to the distinguished visitor, the Castro regime arrested even dissidents who had been invited by the Church to be near Francis, first in the nunciature and then the Cathedral of Havana. The Pope did not utter a sentence solidarity with victims of repression and as he traveled from Cuba to the US, told reporters he did not know of the arrests of peaceful opposition members.
Arrested in Santiago de Cuba:
On Monday 21 at the Mella municipality arrested activists:
- Roilán Álvarez Resoler. Beaten during the arrest. More than 30 hours in jail.
- Julio César Salazar Salinas. Beaten by political police agent Dainier Suárez Pagán.
Also yesterday two relatives of UNPACU members were violently arrested:
- Oris Díaz Leyva.
- Ariel Torres Saíz.
Arrested Tuesday 22nd, Mella municipality:
- Moraima Díaz Pérez
- Martha Beatriz Ferrer Cantillo
- Yoana Quesada Masabiao
- Graciela Domínguez Girón
- Oria Josefa Casanova Moreno
- Mileidis Maceo Quiñones
- Yasmani Magaña Díaz
- Luis Isaac Morales
- Manuel Pérez Suárez
- Abraham Cabrera Torres
- Enrique López Mora. Pastor Protestante.
Arrested in the municipality of Palma Soriano:
- Osmay Vázquez Aranda
- Alexeis Serrano Aguilar. Beatn by agent Dainier Suárez Pagán.
- Yanet Díaz Santiago
- Esquizander Benítez Moya
- Luis enrique Álvarez Lujo
- Mercedes Moya Isaac
- Tomás Núñez Madariaga
- Pedro Campa Almenares
- Daineri Moya García
- Gilberto Hernández La O
- Yeroslandi Calderín Alvarado
- Paula Aracelis Girón Castro
- Roberto Almaguer González
- Rulizán Ramírez Rodríguez
- Héctor Abel García Ríos
- Yosvanis Izaguirre Hernández
- Yunaisi Carracedo Milanés
- Nardo Antonio Ramos Alcántara
- Yunaisi Martínes Céspedes
- Yordanka Bell Montalbán
- Roberto Ayala Galindo
- Isolina reyes Consuegra
- Yosvanis García Rusindo
- Julio Arnoldo Garrido Barzaga
- Ramón Chang Figas
- Rosa María Santana Borrero
Arrested in the Municipality of San Luis:
- Roberto González Feria
- Ricardo Guzmán Calzado
- Evangelio Rodríguez Salcedo
- Luis Estiú Suárez
- Yanni Núñez Naranjo
- Geordis Gutiérrez Laudinó
- Fernando Fernández Leblán
- Dennis de la Rosa Ortega
- Pedro Martínez Machado
Arrested in the City of Santiago de Cuba:
- Lisandra Rivera Rodríguez. Arrested on the 21st, freed in the afternoon and re-arrested on the 22nd.
- Yordanis Chávez Roll. Arrested on the 21st. Spent more than 24 hours detained in a dirty cell.
- Damaris Rodríguez Ramos. Arrested 21st and re-arrested 22nd.
- Aníbal Riviaux Figueredo. Arrested the 21st. More than 24 hours detained.
- Yander Martínez Sánchez. Arrested the 21st. More than 24 hours arrested.
- Maikel Mediaceja Ramos. Arrested the 21st. More than 24 hours arrested.
- Samuel Leblán Pavón. Arrested the 21st. More than 24 hours arrested.
- Rafael Molina Rodríguez. Arrested the 21st and liberated afternoon of the 22nd.
- Alexander Tamayo Castellanos. Arrested the 21st and liberated afternoon of the 22nd.
- Roberto Formigo Ortíz. Arrested the 21st. More than 24 hours arrested.
- Ermito Morán Sánchez. Beaten
- Wilder Cervantes Cuza. Beaten
- Eugenio Sánchez Anglada. Beaten
- Héctor Ramón Forés Sänchez. Beaten
- Andro Díaz Ross.
- Mailyn Isaac Sánchez. Beaten
- Lorenzo Malesu Isaac. Beaten
- Lino Rodríguez Mendoza. Beaten
- Miraida Martín Calderín. Arrested the 21st and liberated afternoon of the 22nd.
- Alexeis Vargas Martín.
- Vianco Vargas Martín
- Diango Vargas Martín
- Soraya Dunet Hernández. Arrested the 21st and liberated afternoon of the 22nd.
- Alexeis Martínez Vaillant
- Ernesto Oliva Torres
- Carlos Oliva Torres
- Bárbaro Tresol Verdecia. Beaten
- Onel Nápoles Fernández.
- Héctor Manuel Hierrezuelo Márquez
- Doraisa Correoso Pozo
- Yorquenia Preval Hierrezuelo
- Edgar Antonio Estrada Pérez
- Fernando González Vaillant
- Lisandra Robert Salazar
- Alexeis Pécora Ravell
- Ernesto Roberto Riverí Gascón
- Nailé Martín Benet
- Yéssica Liudmila Miranda Miquél
- Yamilé Sánchez Rodríguez
- Franklin Álvarez Fernández
- Jesús Manuel Duputey Ferrer
- Héctor Velázquez Gómez
- Leonel Rodríguez Díaz
- David Fernández Cardoso
- Andy Prada Ortega. Muy golpeado
- Jesús Sánchez Romero.
- Yoel Fernández Cardoso
- Eduardo Fernández Cardoso
- Evelio Fernández Salazar.
- Gohart Cruz Samora
- Damír Rodríguez Cisneros
- Yoandris Betancourt Castellanos
- Ricardo Jiménez Sánchez
- Ricardo Torres Hernández
- Iván Desquirón Portales
- José Castillo Ríos
- Ivette Nápoles Echavarría
- Lázaro Romero Hurtado
- Yosmany Mayeta Labrada.
Arrested in Pinar del Rio:
- Armando Peraza Hernández.
- Luis Enrique Monterey Morejón
- Alfredo Prieto Ríos
- Jesús Cequeff Ochoa. Tres días detenido.
- Gabriel Anselmo García Cordón.
Arrested in Havana:
- Alberto Valle Pérez. Detained for 3 days.
- Milfred de la Caridad Reyes Reyes. Deatined 1 day.
- Walter Reinosa Morales. Detained for 4 days. Arrested on the 17th while he was celling icees in Central Park.
- Besabet Valdés Beatón. Detained 1 day.
- Yoel Carrera Rodríguez. Detained 1 day.
- Ivonne Mora Calderín. Detained 1 day.
- Andy Portuondo Aguabella. Detained various hours.
- Roberto Hernández Barrio. Detained various hours.
- Amet Báez Ramos. Detained various hours.
- Miguel Ramos García. Detained various hours.
- Zaqueo Báez Guerrero. Detained Sunday the 20th in José Martí Plaza, in the Capital, when he reached Pope Francis. He is currentlyl detained and on hunger strike.
- María Josefa Acón Sardiñas. Also a Lady in White member. Arrested Sunday the 20th in José Martí Plaza, in the Capital, when she arrived, along with her husband Zaqueo to Pope Francis. She is currently detained and on hunger strike.
- Ismael Bonet Reñé. Detained Sunday the 20th in José Martí Plaza, in the Capital, when he reached Pope Francis. He is currentlyl detained and on hunger strike. These last three are members of the ¨Félix Varela¨ cell of UNPACU, in Calabazar, Bolleros, Havana. They are located at the notorious cell unit known as 100 and Aldabó.
Detenidos en Holguín:
- Ronny La Hera Pérez. Very beaten. 3 days detained.
- Nirma Hernández Peña.
- Benito Elio Pino Amores.
- Jorge Luis Reyes Sánchez
- Erlán Drigs Batista
- Rigoberto Drigs Batista
- Lander Drigs García
- Winner Ballester Cortés
- Alfredo Álvarez Leiva
- Dexter Pérez Rodríguez
- Lázaro Otamendi García
- Arsenio Osvaldo Cruz Velázquez. 2 days detained.
- Yilennis Aguilera Santos. 2 days detained. Also a member of the Ladies in White
- Enelsis Céspedes Estrada. Directs an UNPACU team and is also a member of The Ladies in White.
- José Manuel Rodríguez Navarro.
So far this is the preliminary list of UNPACU activists detained on the eve of and during the Pope’s visit to Cuba. On this list are not mentioned the dozens of Ladies in White members also arrested and dozens of other activists from other organizations such as FANTU, the CID, among others. The total number of detainees should be somewhere between 250 and 300 activists.